Durango and its branches - A Life Chasing Trains

Durango was once called the "Narrow Gauge Capital of the World", and while arguably an exaggeration, Durango did have narrow gauge lines radiating in four directions: the DRGW mainline to Alamosa and branches to Farmington and Silverton, and the Rio Grande Southern to  Ridgeway.  Even after the RGS quit in 1952 it had lines in three directions until the Rio Grande abandoned freight operations, leaving only the Silverton branch to haul tourists.  It was the last base for Rio Grande narrow gauge steam operations until the tourist operation was sold to an independent operator in 1972, ending a century of DRGW narrow gauge operations.