Alamosa was the headquarters for the Rio Grande narrow gauge, where it interchanged with the standard gauge and where the shops were located. At one time it was also a division headquarters, but by 1960 the narrow gauge was run out of Denver. Loads were transloaded from standard gauge to narrow gauge cars (or vice versa). The bulk of the yard was three rail dual gauge, and in the 60's switching was handled by a standard gauge diesel with adjustable draft gear for each gauge. The locomotive backshop was ancient, dating from the 1880's. And the "car shop" was an outdoor affair where repairs were occasionally done in the snow and freezing winter cold that Alamosa is noted for.
Click on a thumbnail to see a larger version, and click NEXT to go to the next gallery.